Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University is a Central University in Lucknow, India. It hosts 23 Departments and two centers under eight schools, offering 23 Masters programs and 22 Ph.D. programs. The Schools are: School for Ambedkar Studies, School for Bio-Sciences and Bio-Technology, School for Environmental Sciences, School for Home Sciences, School for Information Science & Technology, School for Legal Studies, School for Physical Sciences, and School for Management Studies.
The University is located in a 251 acres campus named ‘Vidya Vihar’. At present, the number of students at the University is 2140, including Ph.D. scholars. Out of these, 830 students belong to Scheduled Castes or Scheduled Tribes (55.51 per cent), historically under-represented populations in India.
The objectives of the University include:
- to promote advanced knowledge by providing instructional and research facilities in such branches of learning as it may deem fit;
- to make provision for integrated courses in Science and key frontier areas of technology and other allied disciplines, including agricultural technology and rural crafts;
- to offer courses relevant for the development of socially and economically depressed sections of the people;
- to promote the study of the principles for which Dr. Ambedkar worked during his life time, namely, national integration, social justice and democratic way of life, and also study of Constitutions of the world; and
- to pay special attention to the promotion of educational and economic interests and welfare of the people in general, and of members belonging to Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes, in particular.
Social Consciousness and Civic Engagement at the University
The University is conscious about societal issues. This is the unique institution created to spread the message of Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar father of Indian Constitution.
- For the Students
- In all the courses additional seat for single girl child, thallesemia patients, cancer patients etc.
- Free/subsidized education to below poverty-line students
- Special scholarships for meritorious poor students
- Guidance for employment
- For the Society
- One-credit programs on Community Services and Moral Education have been introduced by the University. The students are required to visit the colonies & work for the empowerment of the people by providing computer education, environmental awareness, etc.
- The University has adopted three villages where students and teachers of the University interact with the colony-mates and sensitize them about environmental issues and immunization schedule and distribute educational materials.
- The School for Legal Studies offers services to the poor and disadvantaged sections of the society through Legal Aid Clinic.
- The faculty of horticulture and sericulture imparts training to the community and empower them to earn their livelihood.
- The rural marketing faculty apprise the rural farmers and artisans of the techniques of marketing to enable them to secure a better and fair price of their produce.
- Environmental Consciousness
The University is making serious efforts to make the University Campus polythene, gutka (tobacco product) & smoking free zone and to make students strictly follow traffic rules. The University has planted 5000 trees in the recent past.
- Community College
The University has started a Community College to provide education to those who are unable to attend regular courses.