The following is a list of upcoming international higher education conferences either with a focus on civic engagement or a broad theme that could include discussions of civic engagement. This list is by no means comprehensive, and we invite you to let us know about any other upcoming events that we could include on the list. Some upcoming events are also highlighted in our monthly newsletter.
For a list of previous conferences and events, click here.
2017 Talloires Network Leaders Conference
Join us at our conference, where we will explore the theme “Social Responsibility and Human Dignity in Higher Education Engagement” and envision a future for engaged universities. It will take place at Universidad Veracruzana (UV), Mexico on June 21- 23, 2017. This influential gathering of higher education leaders from all regions of the world will chart the next stage of the growing university civic engagement movement. REGISTRATION OPEN! Click here to register for TNLC 2017 in Mexico!
- The 3rd Annual International Universities Networking Conference. Miami, Florida, USA. 15-17 February, 2017.
The IUNC Organizing Committee is hosting the 3rd Annual International Universities Networking Conference on the theme of “Building the Global HigherEd Community”. The conference will focus on creating opportunities for sharing Int’l HigherEd expertise and professional opinion, exchanging views and ideas, and finding new ways of cooperation. Conference information.
- 9th Annual Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy. Blacksburg, Virginia, USA. 15-17 February, 2017.
The Centre for Instructional Development and Educational Research, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, is hosting the 9th Annual Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy with a focus on the best practices in higher education teaching and the scholarship of teaching and learning. Conference information.
- General Education and Assessment: Design Thinking for Student Learning. Phoenix, Arizona, USA. February 23-25, 2017.
The Network for Academic Renewal is hosting a conference on “General Education and Assessment: Design Thinking for Student Learning” with a focus on the development of high-quality general education pathways that are effective for all students—especially those from traditionally underserved groups. Conference information.
- 7th Annual Service Engagement Summit. Marriot North, Indiana, USA. February 27-28, 2017.
Campus Compact is hosting its 7th Annual Service Engagement Summit which will focus on the role of social justice in higher education through the lens of power, privilege, and the coming together of communities. Conference information. Call for Proposals.
- Ashoka U Exchange. Miami, Florida, USA. March 2-4, 2017.
The Ashoka U Exchange is organised around the question of “How can we play a role in transforming our institutions into engines for social impact?” This year, the agenda will focus on key pillars of leadership critical to transform higher education into a tool for social impact. Conference website.
- Ideafest. University of Victoria (UVi), British Columbia, Canada. 6-11 March 2017
This is a weeklong festival of thinkers, innovators, and artists exhibiting world-changing ideas. This year’s festival features hundreds of speakers presenting on topics in government, ecology, sustainability, technologies, economics, culture, and the importance of art. The goal of the festival is to provide a time and platform for the presentation of “ideas that can change everything”, to challenge us to think larger about the interconnectedness of fields of knowledge, the potential in innovation, and the power of collective intelligence. Conference website.
- ACE Annual Meeting. Washington DC, USA. 11-14 March, 2017.
The American Council on Education is hosting its 99th Annual Meeting where discussions will be held on issues of higher education leadership; equity and social justice; leadership in a changing world; and innovation. Conference website.
- 6th Eastern Region Campus Compact Conference. New York City, New York, USA. March 15-16, 2017.
The 6th Eastern Region Campus Compact Conference will be held on the theme of “Moving Us Forward: Equity through Community Engagement”. The focus will be on exploring the extent to which community engagement activities contribute to equity in local and global communities. Conference information.
- Faubai Conference, 2017. Porto Alegre, Brazil. 8-12 April, 2017.
The Brazilian Association for International Education is hosting the FAUBAI Conference, 2017 on the theme of social engagement and innovation in the internationalization of Higher Education. Conference website.
- Higher Education Leadership Forum. Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada. 26-28 April 2017.
This forum will focus on addressing the role of leadership in Higher Education within a global context, focusing on internal and community-focused research, teaching, and leadership. Conference website.
- C2U Expo 2017. Surrey and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. 1-5 May, 2017.
C2UExpo2017 is organising a conference to provide a space to discuss, analyze and synthesize community-campus partnerships. The topics of discussion will be social, health, environmental and community issues. Conference website.
- Bringing Theory to Practice Project National Conference. Chicago, Illinois, USA. 24-26 May, 2017.
Bringing Theory to Practice Project is hosting their National Conference on the theme of “The Whole Student: Intersectionality and Well-Being”. The focus will be on attending to the diverse identities of students and the intersections of those identities within themselves, with others, with the campus, curriculum, programs, etc. Conference Website.
- I Global Peace Conference. Baar, Switzerland. 29-31 May, 2017.
The Institute for Peace and Dialogue will host their I Global Peace Conference on the theme of “View to Peacebuilding, Security and Human Rights in Modern World”. The focus will be on bringing together the leaders and activists from all over the world countries to exchange ideas, knowledge, practices and experiences on how to build a more peaceful world. Conference website.
- APAIE 2017 – Conference and Exhibition. Kaohsiung, Taiwan. 20-23 March, 2017.
The National Sun Yat-sen University, in collaboration with other local universities, is hosting the 12th Annual APAIE Conference on the theme of “New Era, New Horizon, New Frontier Higher Education in Asia Pacific” with a focus on issues of globalisation, international collaboration, student mobility, etc. Conference website.
Talloires Network Leaders Conference, 21-23 June, 2017 – TNLC conference website
- 14th Association of African Universities General Conference. Accra, Ghana. 5-8 June, 2017.
This conference is the largest decision making body of member universities in Association of African Universities (AAU). As such, this five-day conference will be centered on past and future methods for advancing various aspects of African higher education prioritized by the AAU. The conferences revolves around the sub-themes of promoting science, innovation, and technology, improving graduate employability and entrepreneurship, the role of the university in protecting the environment, methods for promoting democratic governance, and overall strategies for mobilizing resources throughout higher education. Conference website.
- ARNA (Action Research Network of the Americas) Conference 2017, “Participation and Democratization of Knowledge: New Convergences for Reconciliation”. Cartagena de Indias, Colombia. 12-16 June 2017.
The ARNA Conference seeks to enhance the understanding of participatory action research as a means of knowledge creation, personal empowerment, and embedded institutional practice. Conference website.
- 7th International Symposium on Service Learning. Galway, Ireland. 14-16 June, 2017.
The National University of Ireland is hosting the 7th International Symposium on Service Learning. The theme of the conference is Service learning as a response to global transitions in higher education: Opportunities for transforming higher education and advancing social impact. the focus will be on transformation in higher education and the role service learning plays. Conference website.
- 14th International Conference of Engaged Scholars and Practitioners. Adelaide, South Australia, Australia. 20-21 July, 2017.
Flinders University is hosting the 14th International Conference of Engaged Scholars and Practitioners on the theme of “Creating Culture, Entrepreneurship and Knowledge through Engagement”. The main question addressed at the conference will be “how do we harness the benefits of collaboration and partnership to create culture, entrepreneurship and knowledge?” Conference website.
- IV Service-Learning Research Symposium. Buenos Aires, Argentina. 23 August 2017.
The symposium will focus discussions on global processes for monitoring and evaluating service-learning, as well as case studies and systemization of service-learning. Conference website.
- 2017 IARSLCE Annual Conference. Galway, Ireland. 14-16 September, 2017.
The annual IARSLCE conference will be held on the theme of service learning and community engagement. The focus of presentations, symposiums, and keynotes is on research incorporating a variety of theoretical, methodologies, and perspectives. Conference website.
- Global Youth Economic Opportunities Summit 2017. Washington D.C., USA. 27-29 September 2017.
This global gathering of businesses, government agencies, and academic institutions will discuss methods to improve and grow youth economic programs, policies, and partnerships in a changing socio-economic world. Conference website.
- Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU) Annual Conference. Denver, USA. 8-11 October 2017.
This gathering of academic leaders will explore opportunities for substantive experiential learning and community partnerships for universities in urban environments. Conference website.
- 2017 Global Engagement and Social Responsibility: Higher Education’s Role in Addressing Global Crises. New Orleans, United States. 12-14 October 2017.
This two-day conference will explore how universities engage with students at both the local and global level through learning within diverse contexts that allow for examination of real-world issues. They will also explore how project-based learning can advance ethical integrative thinking, research, and service. Attendees will be assessing global learning, engagement, and social responsibility to address how students exit higher education with a commitment to ensuring the well being of others. This conference will accept presentation proposals that display innovative and evidence-based approaches to meeting the sub-themes of the conference, until March 7th. Conference website.
- 2nd World Congress on Global Access to Postsecondary Education: Working Together for a Democratized Postsecondary Education. São Paulo, Brazil. 2-4 November 2017.
The Global Access to Postsecondary Access initiative will gather policy makers and institutional leaders to discuss strategies for engaging policy makers, institutions, and students in a collective agenda for improving access to higher education. Conference website.