The following is a list of upcoming international higher education conferences either with a focus on civic engagement or a broad theme that could include discussions of civic engagement. This list is by no means comprehensive, and we invite you to let us know about any other upcoming events that we could include on the list. Some upcoming events are also highlighted in our monthly newsletter. Also, click here to learn about previous conferences and events.
- International African Forum II. Pretoria. South Africa. 8 – 9 April 2014.
The Australia Africa University Network and the ACU will host the second International Africa Forum, themed ‘The Power of Partnerships’, on 8-9 April 2014 in Pretoria, South Africa. The Forum, following on from the first International Africa Forum, will bring Australian and African researchers, policy-makers, officials and other interested parties back together again to discuss areas of mutual interest.
- 4th Annual Africa Innovate Conference. Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Cambridge, Massachusetts. USA. 11-12 April 2014.
Africa Innovate is an intimate showcase of the latest ideas and innovations in entrepreneurship, finance, healthcare, energy and education. In addition to our panels, our esteemed Keynotes reflect on how they have made their contribution to the continent’s development. The Investment Forum provides insight into the investment engine propelling Africa’s growth. Our Vision Talks allow select guests to share ideas they want you to be a part of developing. Finally, our 2014 Business Plan Competition give young upstarts the opportunity to present their ideas to movers and shakers and walk away with funds to take their vision for Africa to the next level.
- Global Health and Innovation Conference 2014. Yale University. New Haven, Connecticut. USA. 12 – 13 April 2014.
The Global Health & Innovation Conference is the world’s leading and largest global health conference as well as the largest social entrepreneurship conference, with 2,200 professionals and students from all 50 states and more than 55 countries. This must-attend, thought-leading conference convenes leaders, changemakers, and participants from all sectors of global health, international development, and social entrepreneurship.
- International Research and Practical Applications Conference. International Academy of Business. Almaty, Kazakhstan. 21 -22 April.
The International Academy of Business (IAB), the Russian Association of Business Education (RABE) and the Central Asian Foundation for Management Development (CAMAN) invite you to the international research and practical applications conference on 21st – 22nd of April 2014. The conference will facilitate the exchange of innovative ideas, knowledge and experience in business education. The goal of the conference is to consolidate business community within the internationalization strategy by integrating education into the international arena.
- Tenth Annual Robert G. Bringle Civic Engagement Showcase and Symposium. Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis. Indianapolis, Indiana. USA. 23 April 2014.
The Robert G. Bringle Civic Engagement Showcase and Symposium recognizes the impact of each of these things on the IUPUI campus and in the community. This year’s theme is: Healthy and Engaged Communities: Campus and Community Partnerships as a Strategy to Support the Well-Being of Indianapolis and Beyond.
- 2014 University-Industry Interaction Conference: Challenges and Solutions for Fostering Entrepreneurial Universities and Collaborative Innovation. Barcelona. Spain. 23 – 25 April 2014.
With more than 300 participants, the conference will be the leading international discussion forum for academics, researchers, practitioners and business representatives on university-industry interaction, where theory and practice are equally emphasised in the programme, which consists out of keynote presentations, track sessions, workshops and sight visits. During this three day conference, high emphasis is placed on networking opportunities and creative space, as well as skill development workshops (executive education), delivered by EADA Business School, one of Europe’s leading Business Schools.
- CCPH 13th International Conference. Chicago, Illinois, USA. 30 April – 3 May 2014.
At a time when community-campus partnerships are gaining attention and increasingly recognized as vital to addressing and solving our most pressing health, social, environmental and economic challenges, CCPH’s 13th international conference promises to be our best yet as hundreds of community members, faculty, staff, students, funders and policy makers from around the world convene for 4 days of skill-building, networking and agenda-setting.
- Academy for Civic Professionalism. Auburn University. Auburn, AL. USA. 11 – 14 May 2014.
The Community and Civic Engagement Initiative within Auburn University’s College of Liberal Arts announces the annual Academy for Civic Professionalism for faculty throughout the southeast in the arts and humanities. The Academy will include a rigorous and invigorating schedule of speakers, workshops, working sessions led by Engaged Scholars from Auburn University, and CCE project site visits. Applications are due February 28, 2014.
- 6th Annual Connecting Campuses with Communities: Service Learning Institute and Research Academy. Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis. Indianapolis, Indiana. USA. 12 – 16 May 2014.
Connecting Campuses with Communities is a capacity building program for faculty and staff that is co-sponsored by Indiana Campus Compact and the IUPUI Center for Service and Learning. In the past, over 250 engaged scholars from more than 100 institutions and five countries have attended this annual event to enhance their service-learning teaching and community-based research.
- CUVIC 2014. Beyond Engagement: Creating Integration, Innovation and Impact. University of Victoria. Victoria, British Columbia. Canada. 20 – 22 May 2014.
As universities seek to enhance their potential to contribute to the public good, there is growing effort globally to promote community-university engagement. At the same time communities, organizations and governments seek to leverage the knowledge and resource capacity of universities to address community needs. CUVIC 2014 is an opportunity to reflect on these efforts and enable community-university innovation and action within the institutional, Indigenous, national and global context.
- 2014 Community Service Learning and Community Engagement Conference. Healthy Resilient Communities. Ottawa, Ontario. Canada. 28 – 30 May 2014.
Volunteer Canada, Canadian Alliance for Community Service-Learning, Algonquin College, and Community First: Impacts of Community Engagement are pleased to host the 2014 CSL and CE Conference. The conference theme will be to explore the contributions of community campus partnerships in supporting the development and maintenance of healthy resilient communities. The conference will be held in Ottawa, May 28 to 30 2014.
- Leadership for a Better World Global Summit. Pyle Center, Madison, Wisconsin, USA. June 17-18, 2014.
We invite you to be part of this initial, first of its kind Global Summit, a small group of innovators and catalysts that inspires, learns, and connects with each other to push the boundaries of leadership in a new direction. Learn new skills needed to address the increasingly complex social, ecological, and economic challenges that face our organizations and communities.
- Global Forum on Higher Education and Democratic Innovation. Queen’s University. Belfast. Northern Ireland. 24 – 26 June 2014.
The Council of Europe, the International Consortium for Higher Education, Civic Responsibility and Democracy, the European Wergeland Centre, and Queen’s University, Belfast, Northern Ireland, will carry out the Global Forum on “Higher Education and Democratic Innovation”. This Conference is part of the cooperation between different partners committed to promoting democracy, human rights and the rule of law as well as social cohesion and intercultural dialogue, and their belief in the key role of education in furthering these goals.
- 2014 Engagement Australia International Conference: Engage and Innovate for Sustainability. Wagga Wagga, Australia. July 2014.
Engagement that builds collaboration is increasingly recognised as being a critical precursor to innovation and the development of productive, resilient and vibrant communities. Collaboration builds capacity, creates mutual benefit and develops shared understandings. Enhanced university-community connectivity is at the core of the innovation agenda. Through an engagement perspective we can begin to define this agenda. Who should participate? Academic, professional, and executive staff and students from Australian and international universities. Executive, management, and administrative staff working in business and industry. Community-based and not-for-profit organisations. Government departments. Join us for 3 days of discussion, debate and knowledge sharing in a variety of forums that include key note addresses, workshops, world cafe sessions, poster displays, storytelling and Q & A panels.
- Pen to Paper Writing Retreat: Writing With, For, and About Service Engagement. Wooded Glen Retreat and Conference Center. Henryville, Indiana. USA. 24 – 25 July 2014.
Pen to Paper is an academic writing retreat designed for faculty and staff to focus on their academic/discipline-based writing, receive peer feedback, and explore outlets through which they can submit their articles during 1-on-1 contact with academic journal and publishing representatives.
- 2014 Annual Conference of the International Association for Research on Service-learning and Community Engagement. Reaping What We Sow: Growing a Culture of Community Engagement. Tulane University. New Orleans, Louisiana. USA. 29 September – 1 October 2014.
RFP will be available February 11 and due March 21, 2014.
- 2014 Global Youth Economic Opportunities Conference. Washington, DC. USA. 6 – 8 October 2014.
Making Cents International is pleased to announce the Eighth Annual Global Youth Economic Opportunities Conference will take place October 6-8, 2014 in Washington, DC at the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel. To receive the latest updates on the conference, click here to join the conference mailing list.
- 15th Annual Conference of the Engagement Scholarship Consortium. Engaging for Change: Changing for Engagement. Edmonton, Alberta. Canada. 7 – 8 October 2014.
The 2014 meeting will be held at the Shaw Conference Centre in downtown Edmonton, Alberta. Our conference theme is Engaging for Change: Changing for Engagement and will challenge scholars, students, and community partners to discuss international advancements in the scholarship of engagement.
- 2014 Network for Academic Renewal conference: Global Learning in College. Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. October 16-18, 2014.
At the 2014 Global Learning in College meeting, participants will articulate a vision of the global learner and will explore efforts to design educational experiences—across the curriculum and in the community—to help students develop the cross-cutting capacities they need. Domains to be addressed include global knowledge, global challenges, global systems and organizations, global civic engagement, and global identities.
- Inaugural Community Knowledge Exchange Summit. Toronto, Ontario, Canada. November 19-21, 2014
Community Knowledge Exchange (CKX) is taking the traditional conference model and turning it on its head. Inspired by the spirit of South By Southwest (SXSW), CKX will be community-based and participant-driven. For three days we’ll be converging on Toronto’s Entertainment District, anchoring CKX at TIFF Bell Lightbox and theCBC Broadcast Centre, immersing participants in a collective community knowledge experience.” Learn more
- 2014 Talloires Network Leaders Conference. Cape Town. South Africa. 2 -4 December 2014
Save the Date. More information coming soon.